Most of the time, we prefer a natural make up with a little mascara, eyeliner, blush and a sheer lipgloss. But then again, there are also the times when we feel like going bold and dare to apply a little more color. Usually, that happens when we are invited to events in the evening or when we’re going out, but we also adore a beautiful shade of nude lipstick for during the day. The great thing about a good lipstick is that your lips will be hydrated all day and the color will stay on much longer than a lipgloss would – so if you apply it carefully, especially when it comes to shades of pink and red, you’re going to look put together and will be happy with the look the whole day or night!
For work or for casual coffee dates, we love Yves Saint Laurent’s “Blond Ingénu” – the color is a beautiful shade of nude and the texture is very creamy and hydrating. For a special occasion, try a neon orange like “Reel Sexy” by MAC – it’s very different to “normal” lipstick shades, but unexpectedly flattering for darker skin types. Unfortunately, this was a limited edition, but “Saigon Summer” is a very similar shade. A lipstick color that shouldn’t be missing in any beauty box is a deep red or really dark pink with a reddish nuance, we litteraly love this one by Revlon – “Love That Pink“. For a fancy, girly pink, we always fall back on “Impassioned“, another great classic in the “Amplified” series by MAC. As a less expensive option, we adore the color “Rose” from the “Pure Diamond” product series by Nivea, the hue of pink is simply perfect.
Tips for applying your lipstick:
– make sure your lips are smooth; if necessary, clear your lips with a peeling to remove any coarse skin
– then, if you go for a darker shade like red, trace your lips with a lipliner in a matching color, it will make sure that the lipstick won’t fringe
– apply the lipstick with a lip brush, it will be much more precise than working with the lipstick itself
– if you’re going for a sharp and clear look, cover any impurities around the lipline with a concealer and highlight the lip heart – it makes for the extra width
– for the final shine, apply a little gloss
Another color that can look very elegant on both blondes and brunettes is Oxblood, but we didn’t have the courage yet to go for this dark hue of red/purple – what do you guys think about those darker shades? What are your favorite colors and lipstick brands? Do you have an all time favorite you’d like to share with us? We’d love to hear your thoughts and suggestions in the comment section below!